Detoxifying & Boosting Immunity
So what is Cupping Massage?
Cupping therapy dates back from ancient Egyptian, Chinese and Middle Eastern cultures. The cups create a vacuum effect on the skin which draws out toxins that can cause illnesses discomfort and pain. This therapy has been described in one of the oldest medical textbook in the world called Ebers Papyrus, also by Hippocrates known as the father of Modern Medicine and most recently by Edgar Allan Cayce also called the Sleeping Prophet or the father of Holistic Medicine.
As opposed to stationary fire cupping, this therapy utilizes plastic cups and a vacuum pistol to create suction on the body surface and combined with External Castor Oil therapy these cups are moved over the oiled skin using gliding, shaking, popping and rotating techniques while gently pulling up on the cup, or may be parked for a short time to facilitate joint mobilization or soft tissue release. This suction reaches deep into the soft tissue, attachments and organs and draw up underlying tissue, interstitial fluids and blood of the body to stimulate, circulate, and purify.
Another benefit is to pull toxins and inflammation from the body to the surface of the skin where the lymphatic system can more readily eliminate them.
We work from superficial to deep, and graduate from large to smaller cups. The smaller the cup, the deeper the suction draws. This pulling and gliding effect on the body’s musculoskeletal system demonstrates wonderful effects in treating the neck, shoulders, back and many other areas of the body, relieving stiffness and pain. The degree of suction can easily be adjusted to your level of comfort. The main effect of this treatment is to remove external and internal pathogens from the body and restore the circulation of blood.
The fruitful results are an intense detoxifying effect and a great boost for your immune system!!
We used safe and washable clear plastic cups and NO FIRE is involved!
Here is a list of some of the benefits you will get from this wonderful therapy:
- Move stagnant blood and stale Chi (Life force Energy)
- Release muscle tension and promote muscular relaxation.
- Relief of pain.
- Reduce stress.
- Promote good circulation and cleansing by clearing the veins.
- Works up to 4 inches within the skin providing with deep tissue massage and breaking down of fascia tissues. (Also called myofascial decompression)
- Activate the lymphatic system.
- Reduce appearance of cellulite and smoothes stretch marks.
- Tone and stimulate the skin.
- When used on the bladder meridian (alongside the spine) it assist in freeing the central nervous system to do it’s job of regulating everything in our body.
- Assist in respiratory issues like common cold and bronchitis or Pneumonia.
- Aids in gut problems, menstrual pain, colon blockage and diarrhea.
- Benefits high and low blood pressure.
- Relieve pain on old injuries and scar tissue and adhesions.
- Jumpstart healing of new injuries (not treating immediate site of surgical incision or growth) but by reducing swelling and and improving blood flow working in adjacent areas.
- When working the meridians based on TMC (Traditional Chinese Medicine) we affect positively and balances the organs corresponding.
What about those purple marks! Shall I be concerned?
NO, this is common and nothing to be alarmed about. Those marks are NOT bruises and are NOT a trauma by any means, they are a normal and to be expected side effect of Cupping Massage Therapy.
Unlike stationary cupping which leaves large purple circle marks (as seen on famous athletes like our Gold Medals Winner Michael Phelps) our cupping massage methods will leave long traces of various shapes and shades, from pink to red to purple color, depending on the length of the session, the level of suction used and the lifestyle of the patient.
Depending on how stagnant or sedentary a person is, the blood will form in stasis as it is drawn up from the body. The longer we use the cups, the more blood will come to the surface. The more blood coming to the surface the more we make way for fresh oxygenated healthy blood. These marks can range in color from pink to dark red, to a purplish color and last from 72 hrs to a week depending on the degree of stagnation of the person treated.
What are the different techniques used for cupping:
- Gliding method; Moving the cups in continuous short and long gliding strokes up and down the body beginning with bladder meridian on both side of the back.
- Glide and Release method; Glide the stroke then release pressure coming off the skin in desired direction.
- Popping Cupping; Applying gentle suction and pull cup off the skin, this technique is good for small, less fleshy areas like hands, feet and joints.
- Cross Fiber and Friction method; Applying cups and use as fingers without releasing vacuum in various direction including at 45 degree angles.
A few Contraindications! We do not use cupping therapy on:
- Pregnant woman without exception.
- Individuals equipped with a cardiac pacemaker.
- Swollen, bruised or ulcerated skin, any protruding area such as varicose vein, large malls etc and acute injuries.
- Individuals on blood thinner medication, individuals with any blood disease such as Leukemia, hemophilia and Thrombocytopenia (low production of platelets in the blood) or prone to blood clots.
- Individuals with contagious skin conditions or allergic skin reactions.
Ask for your FREE 15 min of Cupping Massage Therapy
(must be booked in addition to your regular massage session)
- 60 min session on full body………………………………..$60
- 30 min session……………………………………………………. $30
Ask Shakti to incorporate Cupping Massage Therapy for extra healing in specific areas (within your normal Massage session).
- Extra flat fee…………………………………………………………$10
After care Instructions for Cupping Massage Therapy
This therapy utilizes plastic cups and a vacuum pistol to create suction on the body surface. These cups are moved over the skin using gliding, shaking, popping and rotating techniques while gently pulling up on the cup, or may be parked for a short time to facilitate joint mobilization or soft tissue release. Suction reaches deep into the soft tissue, attachments and organs pulling toxins and inflammation from the body to the surface of the skin where the lymphatic system can more readily eliminate them.
The purpose of this technique is to promote health and healing by loosening soft tissue and connective tissue, loosening scarring and adhesions, moving stagnation and increasing lymphatic flow and circulation.
Potential reactions are temporary and may include:
- Cup Kiss: Discoloration of the skin due to toxins, old blood, cellular debris, pathogenic factors are being drawn to the surface to be cleared away by the circulatory systems.
- Post tenderness: usually less than experienced from deep tissue work
- Redness and Itching: increased vasodilation and/or inflammation brought to the surface
- Decreased Blood Pressure: due to vasodilation and/or nervous system sedation
- Rare cases have reported feeling nauseous, experiencing cold symptoms, headache, minor body aches or feeling unwell after the bodywork. It has been reported that drinking more water and taking Vitamin C can relieve these symptoms quickly.
Suggested aftercare recommendations:
- Drink plenty of clean water to help eliminate toxins out of the body.
- Avoid hot showers, baths, steam, sauna and hot tubs.
- Avoid aggressive exercise immediately following bodywork (light stretching & gentle range of motion exercises will help increase circulation and aid in fading of cup kisses)
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, sugary foods and drinks, dairy & processed meats.
- After for 24 hrs you may resume to your regular exercise and food consumption.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to your therapist Shakti to report any concerns, questions and positive feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org
Call now to book your Cupping Massage Session with Shakti at
Or email ShaktiWellness@hotmail.com
Your Partner in Health and Wellness,
PS: To expedite the check in time during your visit at our salon for your appointment you may go now to “Intake Form” page, print the respective form and fill it out to hand in at the front desk when you walk in.
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is intended for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for advice, diagnosis or treatment by a licensed physician. It is not meant to cover all possible precautions, drug interactions, circumstances or adverse effects. You should seek prompt medical care for any health issues and consult your doctor before using alternative medicine or making a change to your regimen.